- How We Decide Which Type of Mattress is Best?
- Type of Sleeper
- Type of Mattresses
- Best Type of Mattress for Light-Weight Sleepers
- Best Type of Mattress for Heavy-Weight Sleepers
- Best Type of Mattress for Tall Sleepers
- Best Type of Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Best Type of Mattress for Side Sleepers
- Best Type of Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Type of Mattress for Combination Sleepers
- Which Type of Mattress is Best?
How We Decide Which Type of Mattress is Best?
The type of mattress that is best for you is the one which will give you the maximum comfort for a good night’s sleep.
So we choose the mattress by matching 2 profiles – Type of Sleeper and Type of Mattress
- Type of Sleeper: Each person is different and how that person sleeps is also different. This is an important metric that is absolutely necessary to decide which type of mattress will be best for that particular sleeper.
- Type of Mattress: With so many different types of mattresses to choose from, it is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each one. This helps us to suggest the best type of mattress which will suit that sleeper.
Now let us look at the two in more detail.
There are two broad types of spring mattresses available in India – Bonnel Spring mattress and the Pocket Spring mattress.
- Bonnel Spring Mattress: In a Bonnel Spring mattress, the springs are attached altogether. So a pressure on any one side of the mattress is felt on the other side of the mattress.
- Pocket Spring Mattress: The springs in a Pocket Spring mattresss are arranged in individual pockets. The pockets are then stitched together. This causes the springs to move individually. Hence the prressure on one side of the mattress is not felt on the other side.
In India the most common types of foam mattresses are polyurethane foam mattress, memory foam mattress and latex foam mattress.
1.Polyurethane Foam: Polyurethane foam is a cheap foam made from petrochemicals. It is also low on quality. The high-density polyurethane foam may last a bit longer than a low-density polyurethane foam.
It is used as a top layer or the comfort layer by most mattress manufacturers as it is cheap.
The disadvantage of polyurethane foam is that it does not provide support to the body. It also develops body impressions.
The advantages of a polyurethane foam is that it acts as a barrier to dust mites and other allergens. It also provide a bit of proper spinal alignment.
2.Memory Foam: Memory foam is also known as viscoelastic polyurethane foam or tempurpedic foam. It is made from polyurethane foam by adding other compounds. It is more dense than polyurethane foam. It is also expensive than polyurethane foam.
Memory foam acts slowly than polyurethane foam and retains body impressions for a longer time. That is why it is given the name of a “memory foam”.
Memory foam absorbs heat from the body which makes it softer. As it gets soft, one feels like sinking into the mattress. And as one sinks more, it feels more hot.
It provides more support to the body than polyurethane foam but less support than a latex foam.
There are three types of memory foam – traditional memory foam, open cell memory foam and gel memory foam.
A gel memory foam is designed to reduce the hotness that is felt in a traditional memory foam.
The advantage of a memory foam is that it provides a good support to the joints of the body which reduces back and neck pain.
3. Latex Foam: Latex is the milky-white sap white sap found in trees. The sap is whipped and made into foam. There are two types of latex foam mattresses – Dunlop latex foam mattress and Talalay latex foam mattress. Out of these two Talalay latex foam mattresses are more superior. Talalay latex foam mattresses are less dense and more bouncy. The advantage of a latex mattress is that they are natural product
Coir is derived from coconut husk. It absorbs heat. It also provides good ventilation.
Rubberized coir mattresses are made from coconut fiber and unprocessed rubber.
The advantages of coir mattresses are they are cool due to good ventilation.
The major disadvantage of a coir mattress is that they are too firm and increases pressure to the joints of the body. They are also more prone to sagging.
Best Type of Mattress for Light-Weight Sleepers
A light-weight person of about 60 Kg. should use a mattress with less thickness, low density and soft to medium in firmness.
As a light-weight person do not need much support, a thickness of 5 inches to 8 inches will be good. Remember that more the thickness, higher the price of the mattress.
A light-weight person also do not need a high density foam for the comfort layer as the foam do need much weight to adapt to the body.
As a light-weight person do not put much pressure to the mattress, the firmness should be soft to medium-firm so that the comfort layer easily adapts to the body.
A light-weight person should buy foam and memory foam mattresses.
Best Type of Mattress for Heavy-Weight Sleepers
A heavy-weight person of about 100 Kg. should use a mattress with more thickness, more density and medium in firmness.
The mattress thickness for a heavy-weight person should be over 10 inches as the mattresss needs to provide more support to the body.
High-density foam or spring is required to give more support to the body.
The mattress should be medium-firm to firm as the joints of the heavy-weight person needs more support. A soft firmness will not be able to give the proper support to the joints.
A heavy-weight person should buy spring and latex mattresses.
Best Type of Mattress for Tall Sleepers
The most important thing to consider for tall people is the mattress size. They should definitely use a king-size mattress.
Apart from the size, the mattress should suit the body weight.
So for a tall and light-weight person a foam or memory foam mattress is a good choice.
For a tall and heavy-weight person spring or latex is the best choice.
Best Type of Mattress for Back Sleepers
Proper spinal alignment is very important for any type of sleepers, especially back sleepers.
Sleeping on the back is an uncomfortable position. More pressure is put on the middle portion of the mattress. Hence the mattress should provide good support to the joints and pressure points without sagging in the middle portion.
A medium-firm mattress is the ideal-choice for the back sleeper.
So after deciding on the type of the mattress according to your body weight, choose a mattress with medium-firmness if you are a back sleeper.
Best Type of Mattress for Side Sleepers
Side sleepers have more curves and puts different pressures in different areas of the mattress.
Side sleepers also face issues of back pain due to more curves of the body and improper spinal alignment.
So a mattress that conforms and adapts to the body curves easily is important.
Memory foam and latex is the ideal choice for side sleepers.
Best Type of Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
Stomach sleepers are more prone to back and neck pain than others due to improper spinal alignment.
Weight of the body is mostly on the stomach. Hence the mattress needs to support the soft area of the stomach.
A medium-firm to a firm mattress is suggested for stomach sleepers to keep the spine in proper alignment.
Best Type of Mattress for Combination Sleepers
Combination sleepers are those sleepers who are constantly tossing and turning their body in their sleep. They are the most common type of sleepers.
As the person is constantly turning and tossing, the mattress needs to be very responsive too. The mattress should suit for back, side and stomach sleepers alltogether.
For combination sleepers, responsiveness is more important than firmness.
A memory foam mattress with medium-firm comfort is a good choice for combination sleepers.
Which Type of Mattress is Best?
The best type of mattress is the one which gives you maximum comfort. It should also not cause any back pain.
We have listed out the best type of mattress here according to the different types of sleepers.
The best mattress in India for 2019 are Wakefit Orthopaedic mattress, Sleepyhead mattress and Dreamzee mattress.
If you want a detailed review of the three mattresses click on the link above.